Time - 1h (plus 30 mins refrigeration)
250g tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
150g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
30 grams tomato puree
1 medium carrot, grated
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, thinly diced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cayenne
1 tsp whole grain mustard
4 brown bread buns, sliced in half
4 lettuce leafs, washed
4 red onion rings
4 slices of tomato
1 handful of cress
1 handful of basil leafs
1. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan and bring up to a low heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until soft and tender. Once translucent, set aside and allow to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the kidney beans, chickpeas, sweet corn, tomato puree, cumin, cayenne, carrot and mustard. Use your hands or a potato masher and mix thoroughly until mushy.
3. Next, add the sautéed onions and garlic, season with salt and fresh cracked pepper and mix until fully incorporated.
4. Divide the mixture into 4 patties (the width of the buns) and place on a plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Brush the patties with a little oil and fry gently for 15-20 minutes or bake at 180c for 25 minutes until warm all the way through and golden brown.
Toast the bread buns. Place a lettuce leaf on each bottom half followed by the burger. Top with onion, tomato, cress and basil. Finish by adding the top bun.
Kidney beans and chickpeas are excellent sources of plant-based protein, whilst carrots contain vitamin C and sweetcorn has antioxidant properties. Our burger recipe is packed with nourishing ingredients helping you fuel your body and mind.
Join BalletFriends Mailing List